16 June 2019

Visiting Anping: Fort Zeelandia and Eternal Golden Castle

It's our second time to be in Anping. 2 years ago we visited 5 most popular places which you can buy ticket in one time to visit. This time I wanted to see some placed we missed before. We visited Sio House (Salt Museum)Oyster Shell KilnTemple, Old Streetforts and castle and some smaller ancient buildings. Some places are free of charge to visit, for others the entrance fee is 50NTD. Anping is one of my favourite places to visit, full of history and street food everywhere. In March 2012, Anping was named one of the Top 10 Small Tourist Towns by Tourism Bureau of Taiwan. The older place name of Tayouan derives from nearby Taiwanese aboriginal tribe and was written by the Dutch and Portuguese variously. Han immigrants renamed the area "Anping" after the Anping Bridge in Fujian. Soon after Qing rule was established in 1683, the name "Taiwan" (臺灣) was officially used to refer to the whole island with the establishment of Taiwan Prefecture. 

Anping Old Fort - Fort Zeelandia (安平古堡)

The Dutch occupied Anping in 1624 and built the defensive fortress. The entire project was completed in 1634. Due to the lack of masonry and building materials, it was first built with sand and wood and called Fort Zeelandia. 
In 1662, Zheng Chenggong took the Dutch city and renamed it Anping Town. He changed the inner city to the inner government. Also the name Formosa was changed to Taiwan in 1683. Fort Zeelandia was an international business center during 17th century when Europeans sailed to Asia to develop trades. 
In the era of the Qing Dynasty, due to the lost importance of Taijiang River, the Qing dynasty destroyed the walls in 1823. It was rebuilt after the Japanese occupation, and after the World War II, it was called "Anping Castle". At present, the real remains of the Dutch period are only the brick walls in front of the old castle in the south of the city.

Anping Fort Museum 

The Rembrandt Museum is located in Anping Fort. It was originally built in 1882 by the Anping Taxation Office. In 1897 dormitories were built and it was renamed to Tax Club and the Tainan Historical Museum during Japanese occupation. After World War II, the building was used as an office of Anping District. Later, when Qiu Yonghan donated his collection to the Tainan Municipal Government, the Government facilitated the establishment of the "Tainan City Yonghan Folk Art Museum" in 1979. When the "Anping Port National Historical Scenic Area" project was promoted in 2003, there was a discussion on the dismantling or relocation of the building. It  was later decided to be preserved and changed to Museum, which opened in 2009. There are four exhibition halls. 

Anping Small Fort (安平小砲台)

Anping Small Fort was built in 1840, which in 1985 was declared a country monument. It was one of 17 fortifications prepared for Opium War by YaoYang.
Originally the fort was built of bamboo rafts and sacks of sand, later changed to stone fort. In 1874 second turret was built. Due to higher water level of Taijiang River, the turret moved away from coastline and the fort lost its defense function. During Japanese era the fort became abandoned. In 1949 Chinese army built bunker here.
The Anping Small Fort was renovated in 1994 by Tainan Municipal Government. 

Eternal Golden Castle (二鯤鯓砲臺(億載金城))

In 1874 the Japanese army invaded the area of ​​Pingtung County. After the Qing Dynasty knew that the Japanese army invaded Taiwan, the commander of the Fujian Provincial Shipping Administration - Shen Yu, came to handle the matter as an imperial person. During this time, Shen Hao planned and carried out many things in Taiwan, and the construction of the Second Fort was one of them.
At that time, Shen Hao hired the French engineer M. Berthault and Lu Fu Design Fort, which were originally working at the Mawei Shipyard. The project started in September 1874 and was completed in August 1876. After this, the Second Fortress played its role in defending foreign enemies against the enemy in the Sino-French War in 1895.

During the Japanese occupation period, the fortress wasn't maintain. During the Japanese-Russian War, the Japanese government sold some of the cannons of the Golden Castle to compensate for the economic losses caused by the war. In addition, due to the advancement of weapons and changes in military theories, the billion-dollar gold plaque lost its war value. However, the Japanese later listed it as a tourist attraction in Fucheng, and then renovated it, and changed the wooden bridge that had entered the fort to a reinforced concrete bridge decorated with stone.
After World War II, due to the fact that the Eternal Golden Castle was located in the outskirts of the country, there were illegal residents who entered the building and the situation became even worse. It was not until 1975 that it happened to be the 100th anniversary of its completion. The Tainan Municipal Government built a large-scale project and copied the cannons and small artillery, which roughly restored the past style. In 1999 it was repaired again and then reopened.  In addition, during the last renovation, some of the remains buried under the ground were dug up and protected by glass covers for people to visit.

In the past the castle can be only entered by wooden bridge that can be risen and lowered by East gate. The doorway was 21 meter long and the center was vast atrium for military with military houses and ammunition stores. The castle was mainly build with soil and bricks. There is also a most around the fort.

anping old fort fort zeelandia eternal golden castle tainan Taiwan

Deyang ship exhibition hall (安平定情碼頭德陽艦園區)

Deyang Ship is located in Anping Port nearby Eternal Golden Castle. It was originally the US Gearing destroyer. It was officially named at the US Naval Shipyard on July 31, 1945, number DD-  837 (DD: Destroyer's code name), who participated in the Korean War and the Vietnam War, showed excellent battles in the Vietnam War and won the Battle Star.
On 1977, after 32 years of service, it was handed over to China at the US Naval Base in Meibao, Florida. It was named "Deyang", number DD-925, and implemented the Strait Detective.
In 1994, the ship parked in the Kaohsiung Port Military Region, served for 28 years, and served as 19 captains. In 1998, the country officially anchored at Anping Port and became the first resort in the country to re-use the decommissioned warships. In 2011 the battleship officially opened its doors to the public, allowing visitors who came to visit to experience the warships in close quarters and have the triple meaning of combining sightseeing, national defense education and understanding of the ocean.
The ship retains the weapon system of the main force of the Taiwan Strait in the past, the open cockpit, a glimpse of the warship sea. You can see professional equipment for sailing, the complete preserved captain’s room is the living of the central fortress. There is also helicopter deck and parking garage.

anping old fort fort zeelandia eternal golden castle tainan Taiwan ship

1. No. 82, Guosheng Rd, Anping District, Tainan City, 708
2. 708, Tainan City, Anping District
3. No. 3, Guangzhou Road, Anping District, Tainan City, 708
4. No. 115號, Anyi Road, Anping District, Tainan City, 708

1 comment:

  1. Uwielbiam Anping! Byłam tam akurat w zeszłym roku