August 30, 2022

Life Update: I got COVID-19...

We just returned from our trip, mostly because I was feeling tired. However, the next day, I felt almost incapacitated. I managed to get up in the morning, but my muscles were in pain. I mustered the energy to do the laundry, but after that, I could only lay down. My whole body was in excruciating pain, and I had a terrible headache. Around noon, we took a COVID-19 test, and within seconds, it turned out positive. I had to isolate in a separate room, and with each passing moment, I felt worse. Since it was a Saturday, hospitals were not operating normally, and there was no online service available for COVID-19 patients anymore. My husband asked if I could wait until Monday, but I felt so weak that I couldn't even stand up. He brought me to the emergency room, but finding parking was difficult. I sat on a wheelchair, waiting for him to drive back home and exchange the car for a scooter. After a few minutes, I was registered and soon received some medication. Luckily, I was able to return home and start my 7-day quarantine here. I tested positive on August 27th, so I have to remain in isolation until September 4th.

I have never felt so unwell in my life before. Even during labor, I had more strength as I walked into the hospital on my own. This time, I was half-dead, barely able to speak, and relying on a wheelchair. Aside from muscle pain, headache, fever, and dizziness, I didn't have any other symptoms.
On the first day, I couldn't even bear the light, so I covered up the windows. Opening my eyes was a struggle due to the headache and pain. I drifted in and out of sleep, but the muscle pain would wake me up every half hour. The next day was slightly better after taking medication, although I still preferred lying down to standing up.
I consider myself fortunate for avoiding COVID-19 for the past 2.5 years. Additionally, we didn't receive the vaccine at all.

On the third day of quarantine (Tuesday), I started feeling completely fine, just with a slight cough, which I believe was a side effect of the medication (since I didn't cough before). It's tough staying alone, and I've been spending most of my time lying down. Taiwanese apartments aren't spacious enough for many activities anyway. I've been watching a lot of YouTube as well. I no longer feel tired or sleepy.

By Wednesday, the cough was still present, but I no longer had a fever. I continued taking my medication. I took another COVID-19 test in the hopes of leaving quarantine earlier, but it still came back positive. I'm going crazy being stuck in the room. My husband took our son out to buy some things for his first day of kindergarten tomorrow, so I had the opportunity to leave the room for an hour and walk around the house. I thought I felt fine, but wearing a mask in the heat made me feel a little dizzy. At least I was able to clean my room, check on my flowers, and then return to my room and turn on the air conditioning. The house doesn't seem to have much airflow, and it's darker compared to our previous rental in Tainan.

Thursday, September 1st, was the day our son started kindergarten. Obviously, I couldn't be there, but luckily, we live in a modern world with video calls and recordings. My husband recorded the experience of taking him to and from kindergarten. Is it normal for moms to feel sad on this day? I've been with him every day for the past 4 years, and suddenly, I don't know what to do. I'm going to be alone. Additionally, my parents-in-law came today, as my husband had some things to finish tomorrow, and someone needed to pick up Adrian from kindergarten.






1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better. I'm new in Taiwan and glad to know you are vax free!

    ReplyDelete