April 10, 2023

Poland Travel 2023: Easter Monday traditions in Poland!


Travel Date: 2023/03/24 ~ 04/12

Today is Easter Monday, so once again, a tradition that my husband and son know nothing about - Śmigus-dyngus. Śmigus-dyngus is a formerly pagan and now Roman Catholic celebration held on Easter Monday across Central Europe and in small parts of Eastern and Southern Europe.
Traditionally, boys throw water over girls on this day. In some regions, they strike them with pussy willow branches. The origins of the celebration are uncertain, but it may date back to pagan times before 1000 AD.

Nowadays, it seems more symbolic than when I was a child. In the past, we would be soaking wet. Uncles and cousins would visit nearby family members on this day with baskets of water, lol. I remember always running away and locking myself wherever I could, but they would be there waiting, and in the end, everyone would keep asking me to come out.
It's important to get up early on this day. Why? You can end up soaking wet in your bed!

I was the first one to get up this morning. While walking to the bathroom, I met my uncle. He laughed, and nothing happened at first, but after a while, he prepared his bottle filled with water. I was the first one to get wet, but only a little bit. I think nobody wanted to clean up. But after a while, my niece was woken up by water. She ran out of the room screaming, waking up others. Soon after, Adrian ran to me with his Easter egg sprinkler to fill it, and he ran around making everything wet. Two boys fell down on the wet ground that morning. My aunt couldn't finish cleaning before the ground became wet again.
We ate breakfast and went to the backyard, and then the water fight started!

Check out my YouTube video







0 komentarze:

Post a Comment