September 22, 2022

Hualien & Taitung Travel: Jian Shrine & Zhiben Waterfall


2022/08/23-25

My husband got the new job, and we had only one month to move to North. We decided to store our belongings at parents-in-law's place as it was closer, and then we drove from Miaoli to Yunlin to move the most important items first. We had a few days left before my husband started his new job, so he wanted to take a trip to the east of Taiwan. However, I was not feeling well and didn't have the mood and energy to travel. A few days later, I found out that I had contracted COVID-19...

During our trip to Hualien, we made a short stop at Dongshan River Ecological Park in Yilan. After exploring a while, we drove to Hualien, where we stayed for two days. We met up with my husband's friend and went out together a few times. The highlight of the trip was visiting Liushidanshan to see the blooming daylilies. His friend took us for an ATV ride on the beach in Hualien, which was fun, although I didn't enjoy getting covered in sand and dust. 
On the morning of the third day, we visited Jian Shrine and then continued driving South. We stayed one night in Taitung to rest before heading back home. By the morning, I was feeling more tired and didn't have the energy to continue. We only made a short stop at Zhiben Waterfall in Taitung before driving back. 
As we drove, my fatigue worsened. My husband thought I was dehydrated because the weather was hot during those days, and he suspected I had heatstroke. We made a stop in Yunlin at my parents-in-law's place to pick up some things and then drove to Miaoli. I sat on the sofa feeling half-dead and eagerly waited to go home. 
The next morning, I woke up with body pain. I still managed to do the laundry (which was extremely difficult as I could barely move). I didn't have apetite and couldn't stand up, so I decided to take a COVID-19 test, which came back positive. 
It finally explained why I didn't enjoy the trip to the east of Taiwan, which had always been my favorite thing to do. I honestly can't remember many things from the trip; I only know that everything bothered me those days, and the food didn't taste as good as it used to.

~ ~ ~

Hualien Ji-An Shrine (吉安慶修院)

Ji-An Shrine, formerly known as the Shingon Sect Yoshino School, is the most well-preserved Japanese-style monastery in Taiwan. During the Japanese occupation period, an immigrant village was established here, becoming a religious center for the immigrants to find solace in their homesickness. Through renovation and reconstruction, the wooden buildings exude a strong Edo style. The courtyard retains precious cultural relics such as Fudo Mingwang, 88 Stone Buddhas, Baidu Stone, and more. There is also an exhibition and sales area, as well as dining and yukata (traditional Japanese robe) experiences available.
There is a 2-meter-tall stone tablet inscribed with the "Guangming mantra a million times" and a request from Shikoku, Japan, consisting of eighty-eight statues. The mission center was built in 1917 during the Japanese rule of Taiwan. In 1945, when Taiwan was handed over to the Nationalist government, the Japanese inhabitants returned to their hometowns. The buildings and furnishings in the courtyard retain their historical significance.
After World War II, the shrine was transformed to enshrine the master Shakyamuni Buddha and Guanyin Bodhisattva. In 1997, the government designated it as a county-level three-level historic site.

-> Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday 08:30~17:00
-> Entrance fee: 30NT

















Zhiben Waterfall (知本林道瀑布)

Initially, we drove to Zhiben Hot Spring, but since there was no public park to enjoy the hot springs, we decided to make a quick stop at a nearby waterfall. The road leading there is narrow, so we needed to be cautious of cars coming from the opposite direction and wait at wider sections. The waterfall is easily accessible, right next to the road. Parking was not difficult either. The water was quite cold and powerful due to the rain from the previous day.





Ville Greensward (綠茵小筑)

We stayed at a lovely place in Taidong, a few kilometers away from the city. Guests can borrow picnic pads to enjoy the surrounding grass and trees or borrow bikes for a leisurely ride in the area. It's a beautiful place to stay. For breakfast, there are three choices: baozi (steamed buns), mantou (plain steamed buns), or sticky rice, all accompanied by side dishes.






Address:

1. Hualien Ji-An Shrine: 973花蓮縣吉安鄉中興路345-1號
2. Taitung - Zhiben Forest Road Waterfall: 954台東縣卑南鄉知本林道瀑布
3. Ville Greensward 綠茵小筑: 950台東縣台東市永安街180巷38弄16號950

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment