June 2, 2023

Journey of Living Abroad: Reflections on Six Years in Taiwan


June 2017 was the first time I came to Taiwan. It started as a 3-month stay and turned into 6 years. So much has happened throughout the years. I got married, had a child, and started my cake business. Living abroad has its good and bad parts.

1. Leaving everything behind is definitely difficult. I left my family, friends, and pets, and it completely changed my life. Was it worth it? At some point, yes, but I do wish I had more time to spend with family members and my beloved cat who sadly isn't around anymore. It's challenging to keep in touch with family due to the distance and time difference. I miss out on a lot of things, such as weddings or other events. I feel like life goes on without me.
2. Being away from family and my country has taught me to appreciate them more. Now when I go back, I see Poland in a different light. I think it's a beautiful country, I love the architecture in most Polish cities, and I miss the countryside. I hate to say it, but I don't find Taiwan as aesthetically pleasing. People here don't seem to care much about renovating houses or even about cleanliness.
3. Moving here has allowed me to see different places, experience different lives, and immerse myself in a different culture. Before I moved to Taiwan, I didn't really travel, but now I enjoy visiting new places, witnessing different festivals, and learning about religions I had never heard of before.
4. Living in a different country can open up new opportunities. For example, in Poland, I would have never thought about starting my own business. It feels like there are too many rules and regulations, especially when it comes to selling food. But in Taiwan, it feels much simpler. All you need is a product to sell, and you're good to go!
In the past 6 years, I've noticed that especially in the countryside, people don't seem to care much. I've seen cockroaches or rats in restaurants while eating out. Here, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but in Poland, the place would definitely be closed.
5. The biggest challenge of living abroad is the language barrier. I know that after 6 years, I should be more proficient in Chinese, but I'm a shy person. I find it difficult to strike up conversations with strangers, and I even struggle to make friends here. So, learning the language hasn't been easy for me.
6. Moving to a different country can result in a huge culture shock and homesickness. During the first year here, I felt really down. I hated everything, I cried a lot, and I just wanted to go back home. However, as time went by, I adapted to life and the food here. I've even come to love stinky tofu, so I guess it's not that bad anymore.
7. It's challenging to make friends here. While I do know some other foreigners, due to our frequent moves, sometimes over 200km away, it's difficult to maintain long-lasting friendships unless they're online. I also find it challenging to form close friendships with Taiwanese people due to the cultural differences.

What's your experience with living abroad? Let me know in the comments!

Check out my YouTube video



0 komentarze:

Post a Comment