24 August 2019

Historic places of Tainan City East District

Tainan is the oldest city in Taiwan and also commonly known as the "Capital City" for its over 200 years of history as the capital of Taiwan under Koxinga and later Qing Dynasty rule. Tainan's complex history of comebacks, redefinitions and renewals inspired its popular nickname "Phoenix City". As Taiwan's oldest urban area, Tainan was established by the Dutch East India Company as a ruling and trading base called Fort Zeelandia during the period of Dutch rule. Tainan's former name - Tayouan, has been claimed to be the origin of the name "Taiwan". 
Tainan is also one of Taiwan's cultural capitals, for its rich folk cultures including the famous street food and traditional cousine, extensively preserved Taoist rites and other living local traditions covering everything from child birth to funerals. The city houses the first Confucian school–temple in Taiwan, built in 1665, the remains of the Eastern and Southern gates of the old city, and countless other historical monuments.  

Xunfang Fortress (臺灣府城 巽方砲台)

Xunfang Fort, also known as Fangjing Town is located in the eastern part of Tainan City. It's one of the two towers built during the construction of the East Gate. It's the only remaining inland turret in Tainan.

The Fort was built during Qing Dynasty in 1836 to protect the inhabitants outside Dadongmen. The turret is built of coral reefs and is made of triple concrete. The plane of the turret is square, with arches in the middle and banners on the top. There are stairs to the top of the building and the original watchtower on the fort. The turret is located in the southeast of the city and belongs to the "巽" position in the Eight Diagrams.

During Japanese occupation the city was destroyed and the fort was deserted. After 1949, the Xunfang Fortress was occupied and rented by a Buddhist temple. Today, it is used as a pavilion and a warehouse in the temple. Therefore, there are many Buddhist scriptures on the front of the fort.



臺灣府城-東門城(迎春門) 

Yingchunmen, also known as Taiwan's Fucheng Dadongmen was built in 1725 as first one of the 14 gates of the Taiwanese capital during Qing Dynasty. Yingchunmen is the largest existing city in Taiwan.

Great East Gate was built with wooden floors. In 1736 wooden gate was changed to masonry gate. In 1786 the incident of Lin Shuangwen broke out in Taiwan. After the incident in 1788 the city was changed to Sanhe, and the Dongdong Gate was converted into a two-story tower. In the surrounding corridors, various gates was raised and towers were be built to strengthen the defense capabilities of the Fucheng. There are many houses around Dadongmen, and the residents live by the stone walls of the city gate.

In 1895 Japanese attacked Tainan Fucheng from three sides. On October 22 the Japanese army entered city. Since then, the city has begun to suffer the fate of being demolished. The city gate has also fallen into years of disrepair. In 1901 the government issued a plan for urban correction, and Dadongmen was planned to be preserved as a ring green park.


After World War II, Dadongmen was occupied by illegal buildings, and the tower was demolished in 1952. In August 1955, the typhoon Ayres brought heavy rains. Soon after the tower collapsed and destroyed houses on the side, causing a tragedy. Ten people were buried on the spot, and the Dadongmen only had a pedestal. 
In 1975 the city tower was rebuilt. The ancient features have not been reduced. The shape of the window has changed. Government reconstructed Dadongmen in its original form in 1977. In 1985 Dadongmen was announced by the government as a three-level monument.

The Dadongmen City Tower is two stories high. It's a heavy-duty mountain structure with orange cylinders. All four sides of the tower are white and the second floor has octagonal windows and fan-shaped windows. It is the largest existing city gate in Taiwan. The city gate of Dadongmen is made up of long strips of granite. The city base is magnificent and the doorway is centered. The west side arch is engraved with "Yingchunmen" and the east side has a stone banner titled "Donganmen".


Small East Gate (小東門段城桓殘蹟)

When the Mufu City was built in 1735 the scope of the Xiaodongmen section was: Zhengdong Dongshan Temple, Dadongmen, Muzha from Dadongmen, and continued to the right camp. Turn northeast to Xiaodongmen, then go north, and close to the city guard camp is the Great North Gate. Therefore, the section of Xiaodongmen is the two sections between Dadongmen City and Dabeimen City.

In the city of Taiwan, the city of Xiaochengmen, the only part of the city, is the only remaining section of the city. It is a remnant of the Xiaodongmen section of the Sanhe soil. It is about 200 meters long from Xiaodong Road in the north and about 65 meters long in the south. Hidden under the dense woods. In 1966, when the successful university acquired the campus of Guangfuying District, the southern section of the city was demolished for the construction of the campus wall.





成功堂舊址

Taiwan's Fucheng Town was established in 1788, leaving only some of the remnants today. Two of them are large in size and are reserved for the preservation of three-level monuments, while another small section is listed as a municipal monument.
This city was originally made of clay, but due to the heavy rains in Tainan's spring and summer, it is also protected by triple soil. The remnant is 64 meters long and 5 meters high.
The National Cheng Kung University in 1982 dismantled the remnants of this section of the city about 100 meters to build new classrooms.


Address:
1. No. 243, Section 1, Dongmen Road, East District, Tainan City, 701
2. No. 10, Guanghua Street, East District, Tainan City, 701
3, No. 1號, Daxue Road, East District, Tainan City, 701
4. No. 294, Shengli Road, East District, Tainan City, 701

0 komentarze:

Post a comment