19 July 2020

Old Town of Toucheng

Toucheng Old Street

Tau Shing Old Street is known as Yilan First Street. Its range is from the "South Gate Shrine" to "North Gate Shrine". The old street is about 600 meters long. It used to be a bustling cargo distribution center, in 1924 during the Japanese occupation period. Today, there are several monuments and old temples on the old streets of Toucheng, as well as old banyan trees.

The Yilan area used to be the residence of the Kamalan Society. Due to the barrier between the Central Mountain Range and the Ketagalans living in Sanjiaojiao, the Han forces were not in Wusha until 1796.
Since the initial transportation of the Lanyang Plain relied on shipping, the Hans initially used Wushi Port, which became the official port in 1826, as a gateway. Although land transportation replaced sea transportation afterwards, the Toucheng area was still the political and economic center and the main point of railway transportation in the northern Lanyang Plain. It was not until the floods in 1924 during the Japanese occupation period that factors fell.






















新長興樹記

It was built in 1921 and completed in 1924. It's a commercial firm engaged in the wholesale of north and south goods. It was once the largest store in Toucheng during its heyday. At that time, the residents called this as a "big store", so it witnessed the rise and prosperity of Toucheng.

The architecture of the building is quite special. In order to facilitate business, street house-style architecture is adopted. The facade of the arcade is made of stone, wood and painted tiles. The wood carving looks simple and unpretentious, but it's very detailed. Not only is the construction method quite well-proportioned and elegant, but the wood carving shop number and the door couplet with the inscription method are also unique.

Lu Zhanxiang's Former Residence (盧纘祥故宅)

The construction of the Lu Mansion was completed in 1928. It was designed and supervised by Mr. Song Zuping, who was then working in the Governor's Office, and was the most magnificent mansion in Yilan County at that time.

It's a Japanese-Western hybrid building, with Japanese-style windows and cut corner decoration on the Japanese roof.
The pond in front of Lu Zangxiang’s old house was the inner harbor of Tauwei Port, which was later abandoned due to siltation. When the Lu family built the house in 1928, they reorganized it into a Japanese-style "boat cruise" garden. On February 5, 2010, it was announced as a county monument.




頭城鎮十三行

It's the suburbs of the Qing Dynasty. The 13th Line of Toutong Town was built during the Jiaqing period. At that time, it was a building of thirteen consecutive street houses. At present, there are only two households, and the rest have been rebuilt. On November 24, 2004, it was announced as a county monument.






0 komentarze:

Post a comment