June 29, 2021

Opening surprise gift from Poland!


Bad news, the lockdown has been extended until the middle of July. The good news is that I received a surprise package from Poland! Some time ago, one of my aunts sent me a parcel, and it finally arrived. Due to the pandemic, it could only be delivered by flight, so it took three weeks. In the past, I have even waited for four months, even when I paid for faster delivery.

A few weeks ago (June 3rd) marked four years since I came to Taiwan. My mood was a little down (and still is to some extent), so I shared my thoughts on my personal Facebook. Sometimes, I feel lonely and depressed. Living in a small apartment, especially now when it's better to stay home than go out, worsens my mood. Since we rent here, it's impossible for us to have pets. With the high housing prices in Taiwan, it doesn't seem possible for us to buy a house anytime soon. The prices are really crazy, even in our small town, which is close to Tainan Science Park. Apartment prices have skyrocketed to 10-16 million NT, and buildings cost over 20 million, and that's still outside the town!

It has been one and a half years since I last visited Poland, and during the pandemic, a lot has happened in my family as well. The lockdown in Poland lasted for a year, and some of my family members went through breakups during that time. I was particularly close to one aunt, so it was really sad to hear about her divorce. Some family members also contracted Covid-19. I worry that maybe after I finally go back, I won't be able to see some of them anymore.

One of my aunts, whom I don't even remember, messaged me after reading my post. She felt sad and said she understood my situation because both of her daughters also moved abroad, and she can't meet them either. She divorced my uncle when I was a kid, so I haven't seen or had any contact with her for many years. I don't even remember my cousins, but I do come across their Facebook profiles once in a while. After chatting with my aunt for a while, she insisted on sending me a gift. I felt uncomfortable since I don't even remember her and haven't had any contact with her in so many years. Nonetheless, she didn't let me refuse and insisted on sending me something from Poland.

Until today, I wasn't sure what was in the package. It's nice to receive something that reminds me of Poland, especially during this time when I have no idea when I'll be able to go back. I received a painting that was done by my aunt, handmade decorations for Easter and Christmas, a book, clothing, and a candle. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any shelves to display the decorations, so they will have to wait in the box until we move to a different place.










0 komentarze:

Post a Comment