October 29, 2021

AMWF Couple: Introducing Poland at Chang Jung University!

Today we were invited by the Language Education Center of Chang Jung University (長榮大學語文教育中心) to give a speech about Poland. We prepared plenty of materials with pictures showcasing Poland's food, culture, and unique events that can only be experienced by living there. We also included a section about the language, where we taught them the Polish alphabet and some common words and sentences. Towards the end of the 2.5-hour presentation, we had the opportunity to share traditional Polish food. We chose to bring cakes since that is what I sell, making it the easiest option.

Initially, I was nervous since I had never spoken in front of such a large group of people (40 students). Fortunately, most of the speech was delivered by my husband, as I still can't speak Chinese. The only part where I spoke was to pronounce Polish words. Surprisingly, it went better than I expected. Over the years, my social anxiety has been gradually improving. I never thought I would be able to speak in front of people, but I managed to do it.

The previous day was quite busy as we had a lot of cake orders to fulfill. The budget for the event was quite high, and they wanted to make the most of it. They purchased 20 boxes of my tiramisu cakes (a variation of tiramisu that includes Polish pudding). It took several hours of work. Additionally, I made two large Carpathian Cakes that needed to be assembled on the spot. Due to the Covid-19 situation, I had an easier time since we didn't have to do any DIY preparations on-site. I have no idea what kind of DIY tasks I would have had to do, and cakes are not easy to prepare within a 30-minute time limit.

Luckily, my parents-in-law came down from Yunlin to watch our son. He was supposed to start kindergarten this year, but due to the high number of Covid-19 cases at the time, kindergartens and schools were closed. We were uncertain about how long it would last, but the kindergarten asked us to make the payment in July if we wanted him to attend. We decided to postpone it for a year. It was not only because of the virus but also because we are likely to move early next year. It would have been a waste of money since he wouldn't have been able to complete a full year. Besides, he's not even 4 years old yet, and we want him to have a happy childhood, spending time playing outside and with his parents, rather than being solely focused on school like many Taiwanese children. Some kids spend up to 10 hours in kindergarten, and the situation worsens when they go to cram school, where they stay until 9-10 PM.








1 comment:

  1. A rodzice męża zabronili mi chodzić na studia cukiernicze. Tak bardzo chciałem. Nie opłaca się im, jeśli odnoszę sukcesy i pracuję. Myślę, że będę już studiował w Polsce.

    ReplyDelete