2 October 2019

Dulan Forest - Archeological Site and Sugar Factory

Dulan area is very popular among foreigners. You can find here many shops with foreign food. Foreigners are also easy seen on the streets. 
We didn't stay long time here, only seen Dulan Site (which is a very small place) and stoped to take some pictures at Sugar Factory. 
You can also check other attractions of Dulan area here: https://polishgirlintaiwan.blogspot.com/2019/09/attractions-of-dulan-forests-coastal.html

Dulan Forest (都蘭林場)

Dulan Forest located in Donghe Township, Taidong is one of places where Ami tribes lives. Due to development of sightseeing, many Han people entered the village to set up shops. However, the tribe still preserves many of the traditional customs and cultures.
According to oral records and textual research, 3,500 years ago during Jomon terracotta period, the Ami people lived in Dulan, which was called Gegalasan. Later renamed Edoulan, meaning the accumulation of stones or frequent earthquakes. After the Japanese occupation period it was official called "Tudor." In 1937 was renamed "Dulan", which belongs to Dulanzhuang.

This place is considered to be the birthplace of the Ami people. Dulan Fengnian Festival is held from June to August each year. The Dulan Ami has a strict classification of the working-age class, with a group of 5 to 10 years old. They must serve the elders and also organize the venue. In the Warriors dance, Bakaluin is also the first to enter. It's a test of endurance and perseverance. The activities of the elders of the highest class only need to enter the stadium after the younger generation, and they can leave the scene at the earliest. Therefore, in the Dulan Fengnian Festival, they pay great attention to the young and old classes.


Dulan Site (都蘭遺址)

In the northwest of Dulan Village, there is a mild marine terrace where well-preserved stone coffins and stone walls were found. Now classified a third grade historical site, rectangle stony coffin was excavated here during the Japanese rule. Follow-up investigations later by Academia Sinica led to discovery of giant stone piles. The site and the objects date back to 3,000 years ago and are believed to be a part of Kirin Culture. Now considered a protected cultural heritage, the site is divided into stony coffin area and stony wall area. It's believed that more historical sites are nearby and await excavation here.






 Sugar factory (新東糖廠文化園區)

Xindong Sugar Factory also known as Dulan Sugar Factory is a private sugar factory in Dulan Village. The sugar factory has stopped its sugar business and transformed into a cultural relic to the artist and craftsman. The park is for tourists to visit and is the only sugar sugar factory in eastern Taiwan. 
The Xindong Sugar Factory was originally founded by Lai Wenyu in 1933 during the Japanese occupation period. At that time it was mainly engaged in the promotion of sugar cane cultivation and brown sugar production. Later, due to the shortage of brown sugar production, there was a plan to increase capital and expand the plant.
In 1944, Lai Wentao invited the Kaohsiung Chen Chuan and Chen Fu Brothers to establish the "Dongtai Sugarhouse Joint Venture Club" with a capital of 50,000 yen. Chen Chuan served as the head of the club.

The new plant project of the Dongtai Sugar Field Joint Venture was put into the sugar business immediately after its completion in 1937-38. The old factory was stopped after the new plant started operation. Since then, it has entered the heyday of the sugar production of the Dongtai Sugar Field Joint Venture. The new plant has advanced sugar machinery and equipment, using rail-board trucks to transport sugar. All the brown sugar produced at that time was sold to Japan. 
In 1943, World War II was nearing the end. At that time, Japan and Taiwan were all attacked by the Allied Air Force. As a result, the sugar produced by the factory couldn't be transported, no matter the sea or land transportation. Therefore, the sugar produced by the sugar factory was sold slowly.

In 1944, the Allied forces directed the bombing of Taiwan, and the production schedule of the sugar factory was intermittent. At that time the income began to turn from profit to loss. Due to the bombing, local people and sugar factory employees began to take air raid shelter, evacuated to other places and the sugar factory stopped working.
Shortly after the end of World War II, Lai Wenyi died of illness and the Dongtai Sugar Field Joint Venture Club continued to stop.





 

In 1960, a native of Hsinchu who had experience in brown sugar, led his family to Dulan in Taitung County. He believed that the local environment for growing sugar cane was good, so he took over the Dongtai Sugar Field Joint Venture and rebuilt it. In the spring of 1962, the construction of the sugar factory was completed, and the sugar factory was founded as the Xindong Sugar Factory (Xindong Sugar Co., Ltd.) to restore sugarcane cultivation and produce brown sugar. At that time, the sugarcane planting area of ​​Xindong Sugar Factory covered Donghe Township, Liji Village of Beinan Township and parts of Chenggong Town. Brown sugar produced by Xindong Sugar Factory is sold all over Taiwan and exported to Japan.

Between 1976-77, the sugarcane planting area of ​​Xindong Sugar Factory reached 834.80 hectares, with an annual output of 8,386,140 kilograms of brown sugar and a peak of 56 million kilograms of sugar cane crush. At that time, the output of 19 brown sugar factories in Taiwan was ranked first.
In the mid-1980s, Taiwan’s economic restructuring changed, and workers’ wages in the second-tier industries rose sharply, resulting in a serious loss of rural labor, while the labor-intensive brown sugar factories in other parts of Taiwan were closed down. However, Xindong Sugar Factory continued to operate and ultimately could not change its decline. In 1991 officially shut down the plant to stop sugar business.
After several years of idleness, the Xindong Sugar Factory was stationed by Si Ki Xiju Sufei Studio, which attracted many domestic and foreign artists to create. The sugar factory changed the sugar factory office and dormitory area into coffee shop and homestay.
The Taitung County Government held the "Dulan Mountain Art Festival" at the Xindong Sugar Factory in 2002 and established the "Dulan Brown Sugar Culture Park". The Xindong Sugar Factory has regained its vitality and the factory has been transformed into the Brown Sugar Museum. The factory is currently rented from the original “Xindong Sugar Co., Ltd.” as the art gallery. Other spaces include restaurants and homestays.

The construction of the Xindong Sugar Factory can be roughly divided into three parts: sugar factory, warehouse, office and dormitory. The sugar factory and warehouse are all concrete reinforced structures, and the roof is covered with iron. The sugar factory of the main building is temporarily closed. The large chimney erected next to the sugar factory is the landmark of the Xindong Sugar Factory.

On the right (the original guard room, the night room), nowadays, "Takaguchi Yamazawa Food and Wine" can eat dishes such as Osaka, fried udon and skewers. The left side (original pound room) is now a "Dulan Small House" operating a borderless cuisine offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee and drinks. The front concrete building (formerly the Chairman's Office and Lounge) is now the “Factory Administrative Office and B&B” operated by Xindong Company. The left-hand wooden structure Japanese-style building (original administrative office) is now a "sugar factory coffee house" that operates coffee, drinks, swordfish dumplings, and ice products. The former cadre dormitory area operates "good, pendulum" hand-created art shop. The "Taiwan 11" under the big chimney is jointly run by the art creator Gao Minshu and her wine-making husband Brian. There are music and singing performances on holidays. Next to the big chimney (formerly staff lounge), it is now "chimney under the restaurant" to operate hot beer and karaoke. The innermost (original staff quarters) is now operating a homestay. 





Address:
1. 959, Taitung County, Donghe Township, 都蘭村
2. 959, Taitung County, Donghe Township, 都蘭村61號

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment